Tuesday, January 2, 2018

Instant Pot Steel Cut Oats

I was excited to have access to steel cut oats after we moved back to the US, because I had heard them referred to as healthier. That's since been questioned, but I bought them, so doggonit, I was going to use them. These are our favorite resulting recipes:


We skipped the whipped cream and shaved chocolate and added chocolate chips, instead. I put the leftovers in 1/2 pint, wide-mouth jars and froze them. They reheat in about 3 mins in the microwave (but use a potholder when you remove it!). I used this espresso powder, but it hardened into a couple of blocks, and my husband pounded it back into powder for me with a foil-covered mallet. :-P This one is on my list to try next time, especially because I've liked other products by this company.



I adjusted the second recipe to make it simpler:

What I ended up doing:
1 C steel cut oats
2 C water
2 C milk
2 - 2 1/2 C frozen strawberries
1-2 T butter

1/4-1/2 C brown sugar/coconut sugar mix

Mix first group of ingredients.
Cook 10 mins on manual high.
NPR and stir in sugar.

It looked like the milk had curdled/separated when I opened it, but it stirred in fine.


-->
Similarly, I froze these in jars, and they reheated well.

No comments: