Wednesday, January 3, 2018

Instant Pot Butter Chicken



I first had Butter Chicken when my now-8yo was a baby and nursing. It was delicious. And he cried off and on for 36 hours afterwards. Too spicy.

Desperate to replicate the good without the bad, I scoured the internet for a recipe, preferably a crockpot recipe, because that was my kitchen cooking appliance of choice at that point. I ended up combining a few that I found to create a recipe I considered doable and delicious (and I will also post the crockpot version soon).

When I converted to Instant Pot (cause, let's face it; this has the connotations of religious devotion), I endeavored to convert the recipe, too. And viola!

Instant Pot Butter Chicken
INGREDIENTS
4-8 T butter (1/2-1 stick)
1 med onion, sliced
3 cloves garlic, minced
4 C broth (1 box)
1-2 t curry powder
1-2 t garam masala*
1 sm can tomato paste
3 t ground cardamom (or 12-14 cardamom pods sewn together or tied in cheesecloth)
1 t ground ginger (or 1 T fresh ginger, grated)
2 t salt
1 (14 oz) can coconut milk
4 C rice
1 med chicken
or 2 1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts or thighs

DIRECTIONS
- Melt butter in IP on saute on normal.
- Add onion and garlic and cook until soft.
- Add broth and adjust saute to high.
- Bring to a boil, stirring to deglaze.
- Mix spices, tomato paste, and coconut milk in a medium bowl.
- Add rice and sauce to the IP and stir.
- Top with chicken.
- Close and cook for 22 minutes on manual high.
- NPR at least 15 mins.
- Serve with peas, if desired.

NOTES
You can customize this to your preferred richness (butter) and spiciness (curry and garam masala). At 1 t each, the dish is not spicy at all, and completely palatable for children (and okay for nursing moms).
* You can easily mix up your own garam masala with the recipe found here

No comments: