Sunday, November 29, 2009

Monkey Bread (Bread Machine)

Inspired by my IRL df GfG, I decided to make Monkey Bread for Thanksgiving breakfast.

Again, I fished around to combine several recipes to suit my needs (read: whims). I started here (where GfG got the idea), looked here, and here, as well. Oh, did I mention that I wanted to do the dough in the bread machine? (Well, I guess I did. In the title. But anyway . . .) No whackable cans of dough to be found here. No biggie. I let me trusty bread machine do the work, and it was just about as simple as whacking the can on the counter, if not quite as satisfying.

When all was said and done, it was a hit. Houston, we have a tradition.


• 1 C wheat flour
• 2 C white flour
• 1/4 C powdered milk
• 1/4 C sugar
• 1 C water
• 1 egg
• 1 T butter, softened
• 1 t salt
• 1 t cinnamon
• 2 1/2 t yeast

• 1 C sugar
• 2-3 t cinnamon

• 1 C butter (2 sticks)
• 1/2 C brown sugar

1. Place first group of ingredients in bread machine.
2. Set for dough cycle.
3. Stir together sugar and cinnamon.
4. Place in ziplock bag.
5. Divide finished dough into 20 pieces.
6. Drop into ziplock bag.
7. Shake to coat.
8. Place in bundt pan or deep dish baker.
9. Melt butter and brown sugar together.
10. Pour over dough pieces.
11. Bake at 375* for 25-35 mins or refrigerate and bake in the morning.
12. Allow to cool for 15 mins. before inverting onto plate.

2 comments:

Grateful for Grace said...

Yea!! Great tradition! We eat at noon, so I try to keep gluttonous breakfasts out of the lineup.

You are sooo good at tweaking. Have you always been so or has living in the Middle East made you so?

mideastmom said...

It's hard to say whether I would have been a "tweaker" in the US or not. I had just started to learn how to cook/bake before we moved overseas. We'd been married three years, but I worked two of those years, and we didn't eat out a lot, but there were a decent number of packaged and/or canned foods involved in our meals.

If I had to guess, though, I would say it's been at least intensified by living overseas. I just don't think I'd be quite as motivated to find a substitute/combine recipes if I could just pick up the original ingredient at the store.

Very interesting question.

Oh, and, of course, we had eggs with the Monkey Bread, so that makes it all okay. :-P