Monday, February 1, 2010

Giblet Gravy

Belatedly posting my two new holiday successes from this past season (I made them both Thanksgiving [with help/tutoring from Mom] and Christmas [on my own!]).

• giblets from a turkey
o or chicken livers
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
• 1 cube chicken bouillon
• 1 stalk celery, halved
• 1/4 yellow onion
o or 1 T dried onions
• 1 quart water

• 2 (14.5 ounce) cans chicken broth
o or equivalent water + bullion
• 4 hard-cooked eggs
• 2 tablespoons cornstarch
• 1/2 cup milk


1. In a 2 quart saucepan, simmer the giblets, salt, pepper, bouillon, celery and onion in 1 quart of water for 40 to 50 minutes.
2. Discard gizzard, if using.
3. Chop liver and neck meat, if using, and return to pan.
4. Add chicken broth or if you have a turkey, use drippings (about 1 1/2 cups and 1 can of chicken broth).
5. Chop eggs and add to broth.
6. Mix cornstarch and milk together and slowly add to broth.
7. Stir well until thickened.
8. Reduce heat to low.
9. Heat through.

- I usually make the broth (steps 1-2) the night before.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Giblet-Gravy-I/Detail.aspx

2 comments:

Jenni R. said...

Hi Cara! Thanks for the recipe successes--I've always wanted to give giblet gravy a try. Now to log it away for next Thanksgiving! Hope all is well for you guys!

mideastmom said...

It's really do-able! I'd never had to venture there myself (dressing and gravy is Chris's specialty), but necessity forced my hand, and I'm really pleased with the results. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.