Belatedly posting my two new holiday successes from this past season (I made them both Thanksgiving [with help/tutoring from Mom] and Christmas [on my own!]).
• giblets from a turkey
o or chicken livers
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
• 1 cube chicken bouillon
• 1 stalk celery, halved
• 1/4 yellow onion
o or 1 T dried onions
• 1 quart water
• 2 (14.5 ounce) cans chicken broth
o or equivalent water + bullion
• 4 hard-cooked eggs
• 2 tablespoons cornstarch
• 1/2 cup milk
1. In a 2 quart saucepan, simmer the giblets, salt, pepper, bouillon, celery and onion in 1 quart of water for 40 to 50 minutes.
2. Discard gizzard, if using.
3. Chop liver and neck meat, if using, and return to pan.
4. Add chicken broth or if you have a turkey, use drippings (about 1 1/2 cups and 1 can of chicken broth).
5. Chop eggs and add to broth.
6. Mix cornstarch and milk together and slowly add to broth.
7. Stir well until thickened.
8. Reduce heat to low.
9. Heat through.
- I usually make the broth (steps 1-2) the night before.
DAIRY-FREE VEGETABLE QUICHE
1 day ago