Tuesday, January 2, 2018

Instant Pot Greek Yogurt




One of the most "impressive" things I make in my Instant Pot is yogurt. We lived most of the past 17 years in the Middle East where fresh plain yogurt was readily available in large quantities. We went through a little bit of withdrawal, having only small containers available at the stores here. Now, I can make it by the gallon of milk. And have whey to use, as well.

I use the updated tips from the top of this post. I add the powdered milk earlier, and I used a thermometer to make sure the temp is high enough on sauté after the first boil. 

I use a pasta/steamer pot set up similar to this one with a coffee filter in the steamer insert to strain out the whey. I had this already, though (and I never use it for pasta or steaming, because, duh, Instant Pot), and there are plenty of other set ups to strain yogurt.

The yogurt in the picture is super-thick, which is how we prefer it. You can strain for a shorter amount of time, if you want thinner yogurt.

We mix it with jam/jelly or lemon curd or just sugar/honey.

No comments: